Arts & Entertainment
Behind the scenes at the Ringling Bros. circus
Nick Smith gets a behind the scenes tour of the family favorite, Ringling Bros. circus.
"ZING ZANG ZOOM" at the Ringling Bros & Barnum and Bailey Circus
About our local Bay Area stars:
- At 13 years old, Alex became intrigued with magic after a colleague of his father showed him some tricks.
-Alex has earned many top awards and honors for his phenomenal magic, including San Francisco Bay Area's Best Stage Magician, the coveted Lance Burton award, given to the National Teenage Champion Magician by the World Magic Seminar in Las Vegas, and the National Stage Magic Champion award.
-Alex traveled the globe with Disney Live! Mickey's Magic Show with the world's most famous mouse for two and a half years, seeing 14 countries, four continents, 656 shows and more than a million people.
- By the time Leah was just ten years old, she was proficient in gymnastics, jazz, tap, hiphop, modern dance, and was participating in competitions nationwide.
- In 2003, Leah's remarkable talent and her charismatic charm earned her a spot as a NFL cheerleader for the renowned Oakland Raiders.
- Leah attended the San Francisco Circus Conservatory and is skilled in static, flying, and swinging trapeze, acrobatics, silks and lyra.
About the show:
Through the mystery of magic and the mastery of skill, audiences will be spellbound as Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® presents ZING ZANG ZOOM, a thrill filled, mind-blowing circus spectacular where family fun is no illusion. Zingmaster Alex, a Bay Area native and local award-winning magician, has more than a few electrifying tricks up his sleeve to ward off an impish Mr. Gravity and his team of scallywags, "The Heavies." Fun-filled magic merges with traditional circus arts to create a world of infinite possibilities where apprentice illusionists from the audience levitate their parents with a wave of a wand and human cannonballs are blasted through the air as the high flying circus is (literally) turned upside down. All this plus an incomparable array of exotic animals, including a herd of majestic Asian elephants, magnificent Bengal tigers and Arabian and Friesian horses, zebras, amazing dancing dogs and more make this 139th edition of the Greatest Show on Earth® one of the best of all time.
ANIMAL OPEN HOUSE
(90 minutes prior to each show)
Ringling Bros. invites ticket holders to get acquainted with its amazing animals at the Animal Open House. Beginning 90 minutes before show time, audience members can get up close and take photos with the magnificent multi-ton Asian elephants, marvel at the beautiful Bengal tigers, and see eye-to-eye with the entrancing Arabian, Friesian and miniature horses and zebras in the show. Visitors can ask questions of the experts who care for the menagerie 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This event is free to all ticket holders, runs for one hour, and ends 30 minutes before show time. When the show begins, audiences have the fun of seeing the animals they have just met, performing astounding acts in routines based on their natural skills.
"CLOWN COLLEGE" -- ALL ACCESS PRE-SHOW
(60 minutes prior to each show)
After visiting with the animals behind-the-scenes, ticket holders can step onto the arena floor and enroll in "Clown College" - a chance to mix and mingle with performers (two-legged and four) and attempt the awe-inspiring activities that make the circus come alive. Fabulous photo opportunities abound as family members rub elbows with Ringling Bros. clowns, glamorous dancers, and acclaimed acrobats. Art lovers may enter a raffle for a chance to win a "mammoth masterpiece" painted by the Picasso of Pachyderms.
ORACLE Arena, Oakland
WHEN: Wed., Aug. 12 - Sun., Aug. 16, 2009
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at 7:30 pm
Saturday at 11:30 am, 3:30 pm, and 7:30 pm
Sunday at 1:30pm and 5:30pm
HP Pavilion at San Jose, San Jose
WHEN: Wed., Aug. 19 - Sun., Aug. 23, 2009
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at 7:30 pm.
Saturday at 11:30 am, 3:30 pm, and 7:30pm
Sunday at 1:30pm and 5:30pm
TICKET OPENING NIGHT TICKETS ALL SEATS $15.00 ONLY.
PRICES: Tickets are $15- $100. All seats are reserved.
TO ORDER: Tickets are available by calling Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000, or online at http://www.ticketmaster.com/.
arts & entertainment
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree 53 min ago
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes 28 min ago
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk 25 min ago
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on...
28 min ago