Food & Wine
Lamb shank and mushroom risotto
Chef Munther Massarweh shares a recipe for a mouth watering lamb shank and mushroom risotto dish that will make you "Top" chef this holiday.
Lamb Shank and pea and mushroom risotto
Braised Lamb Shanks
Yields 5 Lamb Shanks
- 18 oz each Lamb Shanks
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tb or To taste Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 3 TB or To taste Kosher salt
- 1 Cups Canola Oil
- 2 Medium Size Diced Yellow Onions
- 3 Stalks Celery Chopped ½ inch
- 2 Each Carrots Chopped ½ inch
- 4 Each Bay Leaves
- 3 Cups Red Wine
- 3 QT Beef Stock or Broth
- 10 Cloves Whole Peeled Garlic
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Rosemarie Sprig
- Mix the flour and salt & pepper together and then roll the lamb shanks in the flour mixture until they are all well coated.
In 4 inch deep sauce pan heat oil on high, heat until it starts to smoke a little, put the Shanks in the oil and brown the shanks until they are dark brown in color.
After they are dark brown add the garlic, carrots, onions and celery and continue cooking for three minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and cover it.
Place in the oven for 2 ½ hrs at 350 degrees. Remove the lamb shanks and set aside.
Strain the sauce left in the pan into a smaller pan and put on the stove on low heat until sauce thickens to your desired taste, then pour sauce over lamb shanks and serve. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- 3 Cups Arborio Rice
- 6 Cups Chicken stock or Broth
- 1 tb Chopped Garlic
- 1 Cup Diced Crimini Mushrooms (Brown Mushrooms)
- 3 Oz Olive Oil
- 1 Cup (frozen is ok if fresh is out of season) English Peas
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Heavy Manufacturing Cream
- 1 TB Unsalted Butter
- In sauce pan sauté oil, garlic and mushrooms on medium heat for 2 minutes. Add rice sauté for 3 minutes and 3 cups of stock and continue cooking until stock as evaporated and then add the rest of the stock slowly while cooking until rice is cooked.
- Note: you might have to use more stock that 6 cups if you have used it all and rice is still raw, you want the rice cooked but you don't want any stock left in the pan when the rice is done, the rice should be pretty dry when its done cooking.
- After the rice is cooked, add the cream & butter, let it reduce until your risotto is nice and creamy then turn off the stove fold in the cheese and peas and let rest for 4 minutes before serving.
Chef Munther Massarweh has been associated with such popular restaurants as "Perry's Restaurant", "The Fillmore bar and Grill" and "Club Eleven".
He is currently the general operating partner at "Wildfox restaurant" in Novato, Ca. he developed the successful steak house concept in 1998 and opened "Wildfox" in 2000.
The WildFox Restaurant Mesquite Fired Kitchen
225 Alameda Del Prado
Novato, CA 94949-6657
Phone: (415) 883-9125
food & wine
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday