San Francisco News
Gay Pride on parade in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The 40th annual Pride Parade drew thousands of people Sunday including many who took part in the parade and others who just went to watch.
The theme of the parade, "40 and Fabulous," played out on Market Street and there were plenty of fabulous costumes and floats.
People told ABC7 that Saturday night's shooting in the Castro was on their minds, but was not impacting their celebration. They want to make sure something like that does not happen again, but on Sunday, they wanted to focus on fun and pride.
"Everyone from all different walks of life comes out and shows pride," Ed Eggleton said. "Pride is a great work for it because everyone is so happy and it's so fun, and a great day."
After the parade, the party shifted to Civic Center Plaza where it raged on through the evening. The crowds were diverse and certainly not limited to members of San Francisco's LGBT community. There were people came from all over the world and from all races and backgrounds. There were a lot of straight people in attendance as well.
Ultimately, it looked like just another Sunday festival in San Francisco.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi made a pre-recorded statement for the crowd which was played on big screens and loud speakers. Organizers say gay rights have come a long way and there is much to celebrate. They also say there is a lot of work to do.
On Sunday, however, they left that conversation for another day.
castro, holiday, san francisco news, amy hollyfield
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse 7 min ago
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco 9 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks 21 min ago
- One dead after house fire in Oakland
- Man arrested for DUI after injury crash in Russian Hill
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case