San Francisco News
Gay Pride on parade in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The 40th annual Pride Parade drew thousands of people Sunday including many who took part in the parade and others who just went to watch.
The theme of the parade, "40 and Fabulous," played out on Market Street and there were plenty of fabulous costumes and floats.
People told ABC7 that Saturday night's shooting in the Castro was on their minds, but was not impacting their celebration. They want to make sure something like that does not happen again, but on Sunday, they wanted to focus on fun and pride.
"Everyone from all different walks of life comes out and shows pride," Ed Eggleton said. "Pride is a great work for it because everyone is so happy and it's so fun, and a great day."
After the parade, the party shifted to Civic Center Plaza where it raged on through the evening. The crowds were diverse and certainly not limited to members of San Francisco's LGBT community. There were people came from all over the world and from all races and backgrounds. There were a lot of straight people in attendance as well.
Ultimately, it looked like just another Sunday festival in San Francisco.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi made a pre-recorded statement for the crowd which was played on big screens and loud speakers. Organizers say gay rights have come a long way and there is much to celebrate. They also say there is a lot of work to do.
On Sunday, however, they left that conversation for another day.
castro, holiday, san francisco news, amy hollyfield
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday