East Bay News
Teen in Danville dies after losing grip of moving SUV
DANVILLE, CA -- A tragic accident left a teenager dead in Danville late Sunday night after the young man made an impromptu decision to jump onto his friend's moving car, police said.
The teen, identified by the Contra Costa County coroner's office as 19-year-old Justin Deyoung, apparently tried to jump onto the slow-moving sport utility vehicle at the last minute, Danville Police Chief Steve Simkins said.
Deyoung somehow slipped and fell and died at the scene, police said.
Simkins said it is not yet clear whether he was killed in the fall or if the car ran over him. An autopsy will be conducted today or Tuesday.
He said it does not appear that alcohol or drugs contributed to the accident.
Deyoung was apparently standing near the intersection of Del Amigo and Glen roads just before midnight when a Toyota Sequoia filled with an unknown number of his friends pulled up to him.
His friends told him where they were going so he could meet them there, and the Sequoia began to pull away slowly. Deyoung then apparently decided to try to jump onto the side of the SUV and ride along with it but fell, Simkins said.
The distraught driver was one of the people who called 911, police said. Deyoung was pronounced dead at the scene.
Simkins emphasized that this was not a case of "car surfing" or "ghost riding," dangerous stunts performed on moving cars. He said it appears the teen decided to jump onto the car spontaneously.
"It was a last-minute, bad decision," Simkins said. "I have three boys myself, so it's heartbreaking to see a parent lose their child."
Police are still interviewing witnesses to the accident. They left the scene at about 5 a.m. but will continue to canvass the neighborhood, Simkins said.
danville, east bay news
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- Strong winds destroy boats at Oyster Point
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Best methods for brewing coffee at home
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos