East Bay News
Grass fire near Highway 4 burns 70 acres
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, CA (KGO) -- A 2-alarm grass fire burned over 70 acres in Contra Costa County, near Pittsburg, south of Highway 4 early Monday evening.
When the fire first broke out, nearby apartments were put on notice that they might have to evacuate.
The fire burned 70 acres, but due to the quick work from nearly 100 firefighters, homes and nearby apartments did not have to be evacuated.
The fire burned an area south of Highway 4 and north of Avila Road. The area was mostly dry grassland.
CAL FIRE quickly brought in air support along with ground crews and there were several dozen Contra Costa firefighters fighting the blaze.
The late summer winds along Highway 4 could have been a great cause for concern and that's why firefighters don't take any chances with even the smallest fire in that area.
"July out here is pretty big because with the typical winds that come right through this Willow Pass area and the fact that we have a lot of open range going into the old Navel weapons facility, we really want to jump on it and try to contain it as small as we can so we don't spend a lot of time chasing it down there and into the subdivisions in the back of Concord," says Contra Costa County Fire Battalion Chief Richard Sonsteng.
Fire crews did spend a good amount of time trying to protect several cell phone towers in the area, along with some construction equipment and some portable structures related to that construction equipment. None of those structures sustained any damage.
Investigators are still looking into the cause of the blaze, but believe it started near the highway.
Hand crews planned to stay throughout the evening to keep an eye on any hotspots and a bulldozer cut a line around the fire.
The fire is 100 percent contained.
ABC7's Laura Anthony contributed to this report.
wildfire, fire, contra costa county, highway 4, cal fire, east bay news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area 39 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Gay partner benefits growing at Fortune 500 firms 19 min ago
- 7 LA sheriff's deputies arrested in jail probe
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela ceremony 46 min ago
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial 51 min ago
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela...
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos