East Bay News
Grass fire near Highway 4 burns 70 acres
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, CA (KGO) -- A 2-alarm grass fire burned over 70 acres in Contra Costa County, near Pittsburg, south of Highway 4 early Monday evening.
When the fire first broke out, nearby apartments were put on notice that they might have to evacuate.
The fire burned 70 acres, but due to the quick work from nearly 100 firefighters, homes and nearby apartments did not have to be evacuated.
The fire burned an area south of Highway 4 and north of Avila Road. The area was mostly dry grassland.
CAL FIRE quickly brought in air support along with ground crews and there were several dozen Contra Costa firefighters fighting the blaze.
The late summer winds along Highway 4 could have been a great cause for concern and that's why firefighters don't take any chances with even the smallest fire in that area.
"July out here is pretty big because with the typical winds that come right through this Willow Pass area and the fact that we have a lot of open range going into the old Navel weapons facility, we really want to jump on it and try to contain it as small as we can so we don't spend a lot of time chasing it down there and into the subdivisions in the back of Concord," says Contra Costa County Fire Battalion Chief Richard Sonsteng.
Fire crews did spend a good amount of time trying to protect several cell phone towers in the area, along with some construction equipment and some portable structures related to that construction equipment. None of those structures sustained any damage.
Investigators are still looking into the cause of the blaze, but believe it started near the highway.
Hand crews planned to stay throughout the evening to keep an eye on any hotspots and a bulldozer cut a line around the fire.
The fire is 100 percent contained.
ABC7's Laura Anthony contributed to this report.
wildfire, fire, contra costa county, highway 4, cal fire, east bay news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang 19 min ago
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos