Fatal 101 collision kills 2 people
SAN MATEO, CA -- A multiple-vehicle collision on southbound U.S. Highway 101 near Hillsdale Boulevard in San Mateo this morning has killed at least two people and caused a closure of all lanes except one in each direction, the California Highway Patrol said.
Two fatalities were confirmed around 3 a.m., CHP Officer A. Paulson said, and the coroner's office responded to the scene. There is currently no information about how many people were involved in the wreck in total, she said.
Original reports at about 2:50 a.m. were of a dark-colored sedan driving northbound in southbound lanes near, Paulson said.
The unconfirmed reports then indicate that another car hit the wrong-way driver and then crashed into the center divider. A motorcycle was also reported to have suddenly fallen over in that same area of the highway near the 3rd Avenue exit, but it is unknown if that was related to the fatal collision, Paulson said.
A limousine also apparently became involved in the crash around 4:15 a.m. when it struck the car of someone who stopped to help the crash victims.
Around 3:51 a.m., several cars hoping to avoid congestion tried to turn around and drive north in the southbound lanes. The CHP quickly quelled the wrong-way traffic with assistance from San Mateo police, Paulson said.
Traffic was reportedly unimpeded by the lane closures at 4:40 a.m., but Paulson said it will probably become more congested as the day goes on.
The CHP recommended that motorists heading south use Interstate Highway 280 and suggested that northbound drivers such as those heading to San Francisco International Airport take Highway 280 to northbound El Camino Real.
san mateo, highway 101, car crash, peninsula news
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Elevator company cited in death at Levi's Stadium
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Bank robbery suspect shot near mall in San Rafael
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Amazon grocery delivery rolls into San Francisco 31 min ago
- MLB intends to ban plate collisions 52 min ago
- Spotify launches free mobile streaming service
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child 41 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world 28 min ago
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday