Fatal 101 collision kills 2 people
SAN MATEO, CA -- A multiple-vehicle collision on southbound U.S. Highway 101 near Hillsdale Boulevard in San Mateo this morning has killed at least two people and caused a closure of all lanes except one in each direction, the California Highway Patrol said.
Two fatalities were confirmed around 3 a.m., CHP Officer A. Paulson said, and the coroner's office responded to the scene. There is currently no information about how many people were involved in the wreck in total, she said.
Original reports at about 2:50 a.m. were of a dark-colored sedan driving northbound in southbound lanes near, Paulson said.
The unconfirmed reports then indicate that another car hit the wrong-way driver and then crashed into the center divider. A motorcycle was also reported to have suddenly fallen over in that same area of the highway near the 3rd Avenue exit, but it is unknown if that was related to the fatal collision, Paulson said.
A limousine also apparently became involved in the crash around 4:15 a.m. when it struck the car of someone who stopped to help the crash victims.
Around 3:51 a.m., several cars hoping to avoid congestion tried to turn around and drive north in the southbound lanes. The CHP quickly quelled the wrong-way traffic with assistance from San Mateo police, Paulson said.
Traffic was reportedly unimpeded by the lane closures at 4:40 a.m., but Paulson said it will probably become more congested as the day goes on.
The CHP recommended that motorists heading south use Interstate Highway 280 and suggested that northbound drivers such as those heading to San Francisco International Airport take Highway 280 to northbound El Camino Real.
san mateo, highway 101, car crash, peninsula news
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36 45 min ago
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 11 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland 24 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 58 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage 45 min ago
- Brentwood police investigate armed robbery spree
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster...
45 min ago