South Bay News
Driver arrested for DUI in fatal SJ crash
SAN JOSE, CA -- The driver of a Ford Explorer that crashed in San Jose early this morning, killing a teenage passenger, has been arrested on a drunken driving charge, police Officer Jose Garcia said.
Residents called police to report hearing a crash and explosion on Almaden Expressway near O'Grady Drive at about 3 a.m., Garcia said.
It appears that the driver of the 2001 Ford Explorer lost control and crashed into a light pole and possibly a tree, causing the vehicle to catch fire, Garcia said.
When officers arrived, they found the passenger, an 18-year-old San Jose man, trapped in the burning car. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver was located down the street a short time later.
"We have reason to believe he was trying to hide and flee from officers," Garcia said.
Officers detected alcohol on his breath, Garcia said.
The driver has been identified as Mitchell Pennings, an 18-year-old San Jose resident.
Pennings was taken to a hospital with minor injuries and then booked into Santa Clara County's main jail on charges of felony DUI, fleeing the scene of a crash and vehicular manslaughter.
Garcia said police are awaiting the results of Pennings' blood test to determine his blood-alcohol content.
san jose, car crash, DUI, south bay news
- Police make arrest after officer shot in San Francisco 7 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Thousands protest ahead of Fukushima anniversary
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack 26 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Police make arrest after officer shot in...
7 min ago