East Bay News
Two dead after car crash in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Two people are dead following a fatal crash in Oakland early Thursday morning.
It started shortly after 2:00 a.m., when the Highway Patrol tried to pull over a BMW speeding on Highway 580.The driver refused, got off the freeway and sped down MacArthur Boulevard.
The CHP says it called off the pursuit. But the BMW continued to travel at high speed and slammed into an SUV that happened to be crossing MacArthur Boulevard at 106th Avenue. The SUV was knocked on to its side and was dragged about 200 feet into a business parking lot.
The crash killed the drivers of both vehicles.
The CHP said it does not know why the driver wouldn't pull over in the first place.
oakland, car crash, CHP, east bay news, terry mcsweeney
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire