North Bay News
San Quentin death row inmate dies
A Death Row inmate died in his cell at San Quentin State Prison on Monday afternoon, prison officials said today.
John Levae Post, 42, was found unresponsive at 2:20 p.m. and was pronounced dead at 2:52 p.m., the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said. The death is under investigation.
Post was convicted of the first-degree murder in connection with the Sept. 22, 1996, drive-by shootings deaths of Aaron Johnson, 17, and 23-year-old Larry Logan.
He was sentenced Dec. 17, 2001, and was placed on San Quentin's Death Row on Dec. 26, 2001, prison officials said.
Since 1978, 52 condemned inmates have died from natural causes, 18 committed suicide and 13 were executed at San Quentin, according to the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. One inmate was executed in Missouri and five Death Row inmates died of other causes, prison officials said.
crime, san quentin prison, north bay news
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- BART and unions to meet today over contract 16 min ago
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash
- Fiery big-rig crash cleared from I-80 in Pinole 23 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos