East Bay News
CHP officer injured after car crash into Hayward home
HAYWARD, Calif. -- A California Highway Patrol officer was injured this morning when the officer's car crashed into a Hayward home during a pursuit, a CHP spokesman said.
At about 10 a.m., an officer driving east on Interstate Highway 580 tried to stop a man in a silver Dodge sedan who was driving at more than 100 mph, CHP Officer Daniel Jacowitz said.
The suspect refused to yield and exited Highway 580 at Foothill Boulevard, then led the officer on a high-speed chase through residential neighborhoods, Jacowitz said.
The suspect tried to ram the CHP car several times during the pursuit, Jacowitz said.
The suspect's car and the CHP officer's car collided near Cottage Park Drive and Mahogany Street, Jacowitz said. The CHP officer lost control of the car, which crashed onto the front porch of a home.
The officer suffered minor to moderate injuries and was taken to a hospital.
The suspect fled the crash scene on foot and was taken into custody by Hayward police, Jacowitz said. He was taken to a hospital for observation.
A loaded handgun was retrieved from the suspect's vehicle, Jacowitz said.
The incident remains under investigation.
CHP, hayward, east bay news
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- GM recalls 1.18 million SUVs for air bag problem 52 min ago
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists
- CHP reopens two lanes of WB I-80 in SF
- LA police say no leads in AMBER Alert abduction
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos