East Bay News
Man arrested over fatal shooting in Oakley
OAKLEY, Calif. -- Investigators today announced the arrest of a 21-year-old in connection with a fatal shooting in Oakley over the weekend.
David Vargas, of Oakley, was arrested for homicide, assault with a firearm and shooting at a vehicle after investigators interviewed the suspect this morning, according to the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office.
The shooting took place at 7 p.m. Saturday near O'Hara Avenue and Laurel Road, according to the sheriff's office.
Police responded to reports of shots fired and found Omar Martinez, 22, of Oakley, fatally wounded.
A second victim, a 16-year-old boy, is in stable condition at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek.
Police believe two more victims might have been in the vehicle.
Investigators believe the suspected shooter knew his victims and was involved in an argument with them before the shooting.
Vargas' bail has been set at $1.8 million.
Anyone with information regarding the case is asked to contact investigators at (925) 313-2600 or (925) 646-2441.
oakley, crime, shooting, east bay news
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California 11 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 8 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Little progress made in search for missing...
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos