East Bay News
Man arrested over fatal shooting in Oakley
OAKLEY, Calif. -- Investigators today announced the arrest of a 21-year-old in connection with a fatal shooting in Oakley over the weekend.
David Vargas, of Oakley, was arrested for homicide, assault with a firearm and shooting at a vehicle after investigators interviewed the suspect this morning, according to the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office.
The shooting took place at 7 p.m. Saturday near O'Hara Avenue and Laurel Road, according to the sheriff's office.
Police responded to reports of shots fired and found Omar Martinez, 22, of Oakley, fatally wounded.
A second victim, a 16-year-old boy, is in stable condition at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek.
Police believe two more victims might have been in the vehicle.
Investigators believe the suspected shooter knew his victims and was involved in an argument with them before the shooting.
Vargas' bail has been set at $1.8 million.
Anyone with information regarding the case is asked to contact investigators at (925) 313-2600 or (925) 646-2441.
oakley, crime, shooting, east bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday