South Bay News
Family Giving Tree plans to give away 18,000 backpacks
MILPITAS, Calif. (KGO) -- With the school year just a few weeks away, one Bay Area organization is making sure some kids have all the tools they need for success.
The Family Giving Tree plans on giving away up to 18,000 backpacks starting on Aug. 10. Thursday morning, volunteers were at the Milpitas warehouse stocking the backpacks with pencils, rulers, binders and other school supplies students need.
"If anything is missing, we have school supplies at the front of the building and they would just take those and make sure the backpack had as many of the essentials as possible," said Al Galan from the Family Giving Tree.
The backpacks and school supplies were donated by local companies from San Francisco to San Jose. Backpack donations will continue until Aug. 10.
milpitas, south bay news
- Brentwood students facing charges for sexting scandal 21 min ago
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire 19 min ago
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos