East Bay News
Hostage situation ends at Office Depot
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A suspect who held hostages overnight at an Emeryville office supply store was taken into custody this morning, an Oakland police officer said.
In what appears to have started as a robbery, a suspect held an unknown number of people hostage at an Office Depot at 3535 Hollis St. starting at 9:36 p.m. Police were in a standoff with the suspect until after 4 a.m., Oakland police Officer Kevin McDonald said.
Police entered the building around 4 a.m., after which the suspect was taken into custody. When police entered the store it appeared the hostages had been released, McDonald said.
The nearby Home Depot hardware store had been evacuated Friday night and most of the Office Depot employees were out of the building late Friday night, police said.
Roads around the area had been closed, but are expected to be reopened this morning, police said.
The Office Depot is located at the Oakland-Emeryville border.
crime, standoff, oakland, emeryville, east bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support 1 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
33 min ago