"Pacifics" picked as team name for San Rafael baseball
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. -- Marin County's professional baseball team will be known as the San Rafael Pacifics.
Michael Shapiro, the team's president and general manager, on Wednesday announced the winning name, which was one of five finalists in a public contest to name the team. Shapiro was not immediately available for comment this morning. The other finalists were Cruisers, Spacemen, Golden Gaters and Redwoods. Brian Clark, CEO of Centerfield Partners, LLC, said the name Pacifics "reflects all the good things about San Rafael and Marin County." "We wanted the name to be a fun reflection of minor league baseball," Clark said. "We contemplated quirky names like 'Spacemen,' but we didn't want it to be too quirky. This one fits the bill," Clark said. The San Rafael Pacifics Baseball Club will play their independent North American League home games next year between May and September at Albert Field in San Rafael. The team's blue-and-white circular logo features a cresting wave and a baseball. The team is expected to name a general manager this month, Clark said. Its colors will be blue and gold, and Albert Park will be "dressed" to reflect a beach culture, according to the Baseball Digest website. San Rafael's City Council held several public meetings since the spring before approving a one-year agreement with Centerfield Partners LLC, the East Bay company that made the pitch to bring a professional minor league team to the city.
san rafael, sports
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos