South Bay News
Surfer's close encounter with whales caught on tape
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (KGO) -- Caught on tape, an amazing close encounter between whale watchers and a humpback near Santa Cruz.
A woman on a surfboard and two people in a kayak had a pair of humpbacks jump out of the water right next to them as the giants fed on anchovies.
Scientists believe weather patterns have driven fish closer to shore this year, and that's brought feeding whales with them.
Officials are concerned because it's also brought gawkers hoping to get a good look and dangerously close.
'Good Morning America' spoke with Barbara Roettger, the woman who caught the event on tape. Watch the GMA report here.
santa cruz, whale, caught on tape, south bay news
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Stocks close mostly higher on earnings; Apple up
- California bill attacks growing corporate wage gap
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game
- Company seeks professional bruncher in SF
- Historic Cal theater to reopen as live music venue
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified
- Amazon launches grocery service for Prime members
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
44 min ago