East Bay News
War vet Scott Olsen posts online statement
SAN MATEO, Calif. (KGO) -- War veteran Scott Olsen, who was injured by a flying projectile during an 'Occupy Oakland' protest in late October, is writing publicly for the first time since the incident.
Writing on a Google Plus profile, Olsen said he's "feeling a lot better, with a long road in front of me."
"After my freedom of speech was quite literally taken from me, my speech is coming back but I've got a lot of work to do with rehab," Olsen wrote. "You'll be hearing more from me in the near future."
Olsen geographically tagged his location "San Mateo." According to several reports, Olsen had been discharged from an unknown hospital within the past week.
The first public image of Olsen accompanied his post on Google Plus. In it, Olsen's neck could be seen in a brace and a faint bruise was visible above his left eyebrow.
Olsen had received treatment earlier from an injury sustained at the Oct. 25 'Occupy Oakland' protest at Highland Hospital, but a hospital spokesperson said he had been moved to another location at the request of his insurance provider.
The spokesperson also said documentary filmmaker Michael Moore had tried to visit Olsen against the wishes of the hospital and Olsen's family.
oakland, marines, military, occupy wall street, protest, east bay news
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Market streets in SF
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation 16 min ago
- Officials investigate cause of house fire
- High surf advisory issued for Bay Area beaches
- Tyler, the Creator plays sold-out show after jail 21 min ago
- Tax payment scam cost Belmont woman $3,000 8 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos