East Bay News
1-year-old in critical condition after Oakland shooting
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Police are searching for suspects in a shooting that left eight people injured, including one child, in Oakland Monday evening.
Witnesses say 20-30 people had gathered in a parking lot at the intersection of 7th and Willow streets to film a music video just after 6 p.m. when three suspects opened fire at the crowd. At least three people in the crowd fired back at the shooters. Bullet casings could be seen scattered across the parking lot and the street.
A 1-year-old boy, identified as Hiram Lawrence, was shot in the head. He and a woman are in critical condition. Six other people, including two more children, were injured in the shooting. Lawrence's father was among the injured; relatives say he was holding Lawrence at the time of the shooting and was shot in the hand.
"He's a precious little boy and he did not deserve this; he's not even two yet," Lawrence's cousin Alisha Richard said.
"He don't know no better, he's just with his dad," Lawrence's cousin Iyahna Kelly said. "His dad got hit in the hand. He was in his dad's arms. I don't know. Everybody just pray that he make it."
There was a heavy police presence at Children's Hospital Monday night. They were monitoring very closely who goes in and who goes out.
All of the shooting victims were transported to hospitals by other people at the scene. Five were taken to Highland Hospital and three, including Lawrence, were taken to Childrens Hospital.
Police are looking for an older, dark colored Buick with three teens and a man in his 30s in it.
shooting, children, oakland, east bay news
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan 19 min ago
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 US films to be preserved 14 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting 53 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday