Study: Species in 'Finding Nemo' near extinction
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Remember the cute characters from the movie Finding Nemo?
Environmentalists warn their real-life counterparts are disappearing from our oceans.
A study conducted by environmentalists in Canada found turtles like Squirt and Crush are threatened. Sixteen percent of the species shown in the movie are in danger of extinction.
Even Nemo himself is at risk: The movie caused a rush to buy clownfish for fish tanks, reducing the number of fish on coral reefs.
animal, animals in peril, green
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead' 24 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed 22 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos