Study: Species in 'Finding Nemo' near extinction
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Remember the cute characters from the movie Finding Nemo?
Environmentalists warn their real-life counterparts are disappearing from our oceans.
A study conducted by environmentalists in Canada found turtles like Squirt and Crush are threatened. Sixteen percent of the species shown in the movie are in danger of extinction.
Even Nemo himself is at risk: The movie caused a rush to buy clownfish for fish tanks, reducing the number of fish on coral reefs.
animal, animals in peril, green
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested 15 min ago
- Pleasanton students targeted on Instagram 14 min ago
- Sonoma Co. supervisor takes stand in peeping trial
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Group still fighting to save Ice Center in San Mateo
- Clippers beat Warriors 98-96 for 2-1 series lead 33 min ago
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland
- 11 kids, driver hurt in SoCal school bus crash
- Paul McCartney will play final show at Candlestick
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game
- Company seeks professional bruncher in SF
- 7OYS investigates Discount Gold Brokers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect...
15 min ago