Study: Species in 'Finding Nemo' near extinction
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Remember the cute characters from the movie Finding Nemo?
Environmentalists warn their real-life counterparts are disappearing from our oceans.
A study conducted by environmentalists in Canada found turtles like Squirt and Crush are threatened. Sixteen percent of the species shown in the movie are in danger of extinction.
Even Nemo himself is at risk: The movie caused a rush to buy clownfish for fish tanks, reducing the number of fish on coral reefs.
animal, animals in peril, green
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake 49 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond 17 min ago
- Good Samaritan helps save lives in North Bay fire 5 min ago
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
38 min ago