Michelle Obama holds fundraiser in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- First lady Michelle Obama is in the Bay Area raising money for her husband's re-election campaign and held a fundraiser in Golden Gate Park.
At the California Academy of Sciences, Mrs. Obama spoke to party donors. The tickets for the event were $500 and it is the first stop on her two-night stay in San Francisco.
Security is extra tight at the California Academy of Sciences. Ticket holders were asked to line-up in a secured area before gaining entrance to the building and television cameras were not allowed inside.
The first lady is here to raise money for her husband's 2012 reelection campaign. Mrs. Obama has said that she dislikes politics, but over the course of her three years as first lady, she has emerged as an extremely popular figure and a political presence all her own.
"She's a popular figure and you can use her in fundraising events around the country and raise money. And I think increasingly you can do some free media events with her and get some publicity that humanizes the Obamas and puts them back in the light that they had back in 2008," said ABC7 Political Analyst Bruce Cain.
There were one or two protesters outside, but an officer ABC7 spoke with earlier said that there have been no issues. Mrs. Obama has been on a western swing. She worked in a bit of vacation with her daughters, checking out Mount Rushmore and Las Vegas.
Saturday morning the first lady will be in Alameda to commission a new U.S. Coast Guard cutter.
michelle obama, democrats, golden gate park, barack obama, california academy of sciences, fundraiser, 2012 presidential race, politics
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire