South Bay News
1 killed, 5 injured from apartment fire in San Jose
SAN JOSE (KGO) -- A house fire killed a mother early Tuesday in San Jose and injured her husband and both of her young sons, one of them critically.
The fire started around 2:45 a.m. at a home on Warfield Way near Highway 101 and Tully Road, just southeast of Kelley Park. Firefighters are trying to determine if the smoke detector was working and what started the fire. Firefighters say the three-alarm fire started in the garage of a townhouse.
Seven people were inside when it erupted. The family says 51-year-old Khue Ton did not survive. "She worked very hard, hard worker and she had a good heart. She really cared for people. That's why I loved her so much. She's the one I loved best," Ton's sister-in-law Thao Do said. An ambulance took Khue's husband and their two boys to the hospital. The father is in critical condition and so is the youngest boy David who is 6 or 7-years-old. "He is alive at the hospital, so the paramedics and firefighters did everything they could to save his life. He's on a ventilator from what I understand," said Capt. Mary Gutierrez.
It's hard to comprehend the enormity of this tragedy, but with 14 people living in the four townhomes, neighbors say it could have been much worse. The early morning hour meant most everyone was asleep at the time and the fire spread quickly. "My neighbor knocked my door, said 'Get out, get out, fire, fire,'" Lan Le said.
The survivors say they feel fortunate. "Words can't even express. I'm just so grateful, very grateful," one woman said. For one family though, the toll is devastating.
san jose, fire, south bay news, karina rusk
- SF firefighters continue to monitor 5-alarm fire
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos