San Francisco News
Mayor Ed Lee celebrates 60th birthday
SAN FRANCISCO -- Saturday is more than Cinco de Mayo, it's also San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee's 60th birthday.
To properly celebrate his birthday the mayor has asked residents to give back to the community.
The best birthday gift, according to Lee, would be supporting San Francisco, whether it be by shopping at locally-owned businesses; volunteering at one of the city's many organizations; or getting prepared for the next big earthquake.
Since 60 is a major birthday Lee has asked people to keep the number in mind, perhaps by volunteering for 60 minutes at the food bank, animal shelter or any other nonprofit.
With this weekend's sunny weather, the mayor also suggested honoring his birthday by biking for 60 minutes or miles and forgoing the car. To travel in true San Francisco style, the mayor suggests riding Muni for the next 60 days instead of driving.
For the full list of 60 ideas to celebrate Lee's 60th, visit sfgov.org/60thingstodo.
The mayor's office is asking people to tweet their activities on Twitter by using the hashtag #60thingstodo.
ed lee, san francisco news
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car 53 min ago
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash 40 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday