San Francisco News
Mayor Ed Lee celebrates 60th birthday
SAN FRANCISCO -- Saturday is more than Cinco de Mayo, it's also San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee's 60th birthday.
To properly celebrate his birthday the mayor has asked residents to give back to the community.
The best birthday gift, according to Lee, would be supporting San Francisco, whether it be by shopping at locally-owned businesses; volunteering at one of the city's many organizations; or getting prepared for the next big earthquake.
Since 60 is a major birthday Lee has asked people to keep the number in mind, perhaps by volunteering for 60 minutes at the food bank, animal shelter or any other nonprofit.
With this weekend's sunny weather, the mayor also suggested honoring his birthday by biking for 60 minutes or miles and forgoing the car. To travel in true San Francisco style, the mayor suggests riding Muni for the next 60 days instead of driving.
For the full list of 60 ideas to celebrate Lee's 60th, visit sfgov.org/60thingstodo.
The mayor's office is asking people to tweet their activities on Twitter by using the hashtag #60thingstodo.
ed lee, san francisco news
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Fiery big-rig crash cleared from I-80 in Pinole 2 min ago
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos