South Bay News
Memorial held for Los Altos Marine
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (KGO) -- A Marine from Los Altos, who was killed in Afghanistan, is being remembered in the Bay Area. The funeral for Capt. Matt Manoukian is happening right now at his former high school, St. Francis in Mountain View.
Manoukian graduated from St. Francis High in the summer of 2001. During Saturday's memorial service the president of the school pointed out that it was the summer before September 11th Manoukian went on to become a Marine and a leader in the corps.
Hundreds of people turned out for the memorial service. The first part of the two-and-a-half our event was held inside the school's auditorium, which was packed with standing room only. It's an event will include an honor guard salute and military aircraft flyover.
ABC7 spoke with Manoukian's father, Santa Clara County Judge Socrates Manoukian just after he learned of his son's death earlier this month. He said his son was training Afghani security forces and one of the men he believed was a trainee requested a meeting, which was not unusual. During that meeting the Afghani shot and killed Manoukian and two other Marines as they ate dinner.
There have been a series of these kinds of attacks upon U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan lately. According to figures from NATO commanders, one in 10 deaths of NATO soldiers so far this year are from Afghani trainees or Afghanis whom soldiers believed were their allies.
los altos, mountain view, afghanistan, afghanistan war, marines, south bay news
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast 27 min ago
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners 34 min ago
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos