Popinator popcorn machine turns out to be hoax
It turns out the Popinator, an automatic popcorn device that's taken the internet by storm, is a hoax.
"The Popinator is a fully automated voice activated popcorn launching machine that is triggered by the word pop," said an electronic engineer for Thinkmodo.
However that's not really true. It's all just a guerilla marketing campaign for a popcorn company.
The co-founders of Thinkmodo dreamed up the gadget which actually fires popcorn not by voice command, but remote control. Catching the kernels required repeated takes for the video.
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos