East Bay News
Teens arrested over pipe bomb explosion
PLEASANT HILL, Calif. (KGO) -- Police in Pleasant Hill arrested two teenagers after officers say the boys used a pipe bomb to blow up a woman's mailbox. Alert neighbors are being credited for helping police track the teens down before they could do more damage with a second explosive device.
Mangled remnants of what used to be a metal mailbox sit in the front yard of a Pleasant Hill home the morning after police say teenagers put a pipe bomb inside of it.
The explosion rocked the quiet neighborhood just before 10 p.m. Friday.
"An explosion just shook the windows," neighbor Jim Seibert said. "Woke me up.
Neighbor Jen Smith adds, "It's crazy times, you know. We're just really surprised how things happen like that."
The resident of the home didn't want to give us her name. When we caught up with her, she was in a hurry and hesitant to talk to us.
Kira: "You said police came really fast and did a good job?"
Resident: "Yes, they did. They caught them last night."
Kira: "That must have been so scary."
Resident: "Yeah, it was, but I have very good neighbors."
Witnesses saw a red SUV leave their neighborhood right after the explosion. That tip helped authorities track down the SUV to a parking lot at College Park High School.
Police say they don't believe the high school was the teens' target, just their meeting place. But inside their SUV, police found a second pipe bomb.
"Walnut Creek Police Bomb Squad came out and rendered the pipe bomb safe and three juveniles were taken into custody as a result of the investigation," Cpl. Steve Dexheimer said.
In total, five teens were in the SUV.
Two were arrested and then released to their parents. A third was arrested on unrelated charges.
explosion, pleasant hill, east bay news
- 1 dead, 16 injured in East Harlem explosion 8 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos