San Francisco News
Several Hanukkah events to be held in SF
SAN FRANCISCO -- Today at sundown marks the start of the eight-day Jewish holiday of Hanukkah and some Bay Area residents will be celebrating by lighting the first candle of the menorah, or candelabra.
In San Francisco, the Festival of Lights, which commemorates the tale of triumph of a small band of Jewish fighters over the Syrian Army, will start shining brightly at Ghirardelli Square tonight.
The Jewish Learning Institute of San Francisco and the Jewish movement group Chabad have teamed up to light a 9-foot menorah at 6 p.m. at the square located at Beach and Larkin streets.
There will be music and food at the second annual family-friendly event, organizers said.
Also in San Francisco, the first night of a 37-year tradition at Union Square will kick off with a lighting ceremony of a 25-foot mahogany menorah at 6 p.m. as part of the Bill Graham Menorah Project.
Jewish hip-hop artist Matisyahu will be lighting the menorah at 7 p.m. before the start of his acoustic Hanukkah tour at the Masonic Center at 8 p.m., event organizer Brian Webster said.
A holiday festival will be held the following day at the downtown plaza starting at 3 p.m. with Mayor Ed Lee, state Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, and other dignitaries expected to arrive in time for Sunday's 5 p.m. lighting.
There will be a memorial at Sunday's festival for the event's namesake concert promoter Bill Graham's sister, Ester Chichinsky, who recently passed away.
Chichinsky was a Holocaust survivor, Webster said. The lighting ceremony will continue each night at 5 p.m. at Union Square, except for a 3 p.m. lighting next Friday, until the last night on Dec. 15 when the holiday tradition since 1975 will take on something new, Webster said.
At 6:30 p.m. the final night a smaller 10-foot menorah will be lit on the second floor of the Westfield San Francisco Centre mall at 865 Market St.
A final night celebration will follow with Hanukkah treats, dreidel spinning and other family-friendly activities at the free event.
hanukkah, san francisco news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Mountain View police searching for missing boy 1 min ago
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 19 min ago
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law 4 min ago
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
17 min ago