Driver to be arrested in triple-fatal crash on NB I-280
WOODSIDE, Calif. -- Three people were killed and two injured when a car that had pulled over due to mechanical problems was struck by a passing vehicle on northbound Interstate Highway 280 Friday afternoon, a California Highway Patrol spokesman said.
A Lexus sedan was stopped at the center divider just north of Edgewood Road near Redwood City Friday around 3:10 p.m. when it was struck by a black Volkswagen that swerved into the center divider, CHP Officer Art Montiel said.
Three people in the Lexus, a woman in her late 40s, a 21-year-old woman and a 28-year-old man, were pronounced dead at the scene, Montiel said.
A fourth person in the Lexus, a 56-year-old Santa Clara man, survived the crash and was taken to the hospital with injuries, Montiel said.
The driver of the Volkswagen, a man in his early 80s, was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
He is expected to be arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter upon his release due to reports that he was speeding at the time of the crash and due to the large number of people killed, Montiel said.
The crash shut down four lanes, leaving only the far right lane open and backing traffic up for miles.
Montiel said the vehicles were being towed away as of shortly after 6 p.m.
woodside, I-280, san mateo county, peninsula news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 26 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ 17 min ago
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise 15 min ago
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide 5 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Unknown good Samaritan called 911 after man's seizure
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Cal housing vote; Candlestick soccer
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday