Driver to be arrested in triple-fatal crash on NB I-280
WOODSIDE, Calif. -- Three people were killed and two injured when a car that had pulled over due to mechanical problems was struck by a passing vehicle on northbound Interstate Highway 280 Friday afternoon, a California Highway Patrol spokesman said.
A Lexus sedan was stopped at the center divider just north of Edgewood Road near Redwood City Friday around 3:10 p.m. when it was struck by a black Volkswagen that swerved into the center divider, CHP Officer Art Montiel said.
Three people in the Lexus, a woman in her late 40s, a 21-year-old woman and a 28-year-old man, were pronounced dead at the scene, Montiel said.
A fourth person in the Lexus, a 56-year-old Santa Clara man, survived the crash and was taken to the hospital with injuries, Montiel said.
The driver of the Volkswagen, a man in his early 80s, was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
He is expected to be arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter upon his release due to reports that he was speeding at the time of the crash and due to the large number of people killed, Montiel said.
The crash shut down four lanes, leaving only the far right lane open and backing traffic up for miles.
Montiel said the vehicles were being towed away as of shortly after 6 p.m.
woodside, I-280, san mateo county, peninsula news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos