New York farmer builds 36-foot snowman
CHAMPION, NY (KGO) -- This winter, many people found themselves flocking to a farm in Upstate New York to get a glimpse of a snowman so big it has a traffic cone instead of a carrot for a nose.
This heavyweight snowman stands more than 36 feet tall in the town of Champion, New York which is north of Syracuse. Farmer Vern Scoville first built a 35-foot snowman two years ago. He went a little bigger this year after not having enough snow to build one at all last year.
"It's quite a thing. It's unreal the people that'll stop and get their picture taken. It's just fun to watch," said Scoville.
"It's very impressive, the amount of people it does. Each year it gets bigger and bigger," said Jeff Berrus, a snowman building crew member.
It takes a crew of 30 people and heavy equipment to create the giant snowman. The community benefits from this effort because visitors can leave donations for the local food bank in the snowman's bottom button.
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case