Bay Area Traffic
Hwy 37 in Vallejo reopens after fiery fatal crash
VALLEJO (KGO) -- North Bay traffic was snarled this morning after a fiery fatal crash between a tractor trailer and a truck in Vallejo. The accident happened about 6:40 a.m. on westbound Highway 37 at Highway 29, near I-80. It involved hazardous materials.
An Ace Hardware big-rig went flying off Highway 37, dropped about 50 feet onto a grassy area below and burst into flames. That's when some Good Samaritans got involved.
"Those two witnesses and an off-duty paramedic pulled over and grabbed a fire extinguisher that they had and went to the big-rig to see if they could assist the driver. They then found the driver upside down in his cab entangled in his seatbelt. They freed him from the cab," said CHP Ofc. Chris Parker.
The truck driver was taken to the hospital where he died of his injuries. Vallejo firefighters put the fire out and called in the hazmat team to figure out the environmental hazards from the items that burned. It appears the truck was carrying a large number of items, including plastic storage containers. It's believed there has been no contamination of nearby waterways.
The CHP shutdown Hwy 37 in both directions for hours. The resulting traffic jam stretched for miles on Hwy 37 and on Highway 29 and on over to nearby Interstate 80 where some folks didn't like the way law enforcement was rerouting traffic.
The CHP is asking witnesses of the accident to contact (707) 428-2100.
vallejo, highway 37, I-80, highway 29, bay area traffic, terry mcsweeney
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was deliberate 30 min ago
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Death of woman found in home considered homicide
- Police arrest woman in connection with shooting
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 8 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
8 min ago
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos