Bay Area Traffic
Hwy 37 in Vallejo reopens after fiery fatal crash
VALLEJO (KGO) -- North Bay traffic was snarled this morning after a fiery fatal crash between a tractor trailer and a truck in Vallejo. The accident happened about 6:40 a.m. on westbound Highway 37 at Highway 29, near I-80. It involved hazardous materials.
An Ace Hardware big-rig went flying off Highway 37, dropped about 50 feet onto a grassy area below and burst into flames. That's when some Good Samaritans got involved.
"Those two witnesses and an off-duty paramedic pulled over and grabbed a fire extinguisher that they had and went to the big-rig to see if they could assist the driver. They then found the driver upside down in his cab entangled in his seatbelt. They freed him from the cab," said CHP Ofc. Chris Parker.
The truck driver was taken to the hospital where he died of his injuries. Vallejo firefighters put the fire out and called in the hazmat team to figure out the environmental hazards from the items that burned. It appears the truck was carrying a large number of items, including plastic storage containers. It's believed there has been no contamination of nearby waterways.
The CHP shutdown Hwy 37 in both directions for hours. The resulting traffic jam stretched for miles on Hwy 37 and on Highway 29 and on over to nearby Interstate 80 where some folks didn't like the way law enforcement was rerouting traffic.
The CHP is asking witnesses of the accident to contact (707) 428-2100.
vallejo, highway 37, I-80, highway 29, bay area traffic, terry mcsweeney
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Officer-involved shooting shuts down I-5 57 min ago
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro apartment fire 12 min ago
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi
- Northern California couple has rare triplets
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
52 min ago
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro...
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos