Disappointed 49ers fans cause minor problems in SF
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco police are reporting minor flare-ups of violence in the Mission District as disappointed San Francisco 49ers fans react to their team's loss to the Baltimore Ravens Sunday night.
A few people have thrown bottles at police officers around 24th and Mission streets and 16th and Mission streets following the 49ers 34-31 loss, Officer Carlos Manfredi said this evening.
Police were out in force this evening in potential hot spots such as the Mission District in an effort to prevent a repeat of the World Series violence. Manfredi said officers are working to respond quickly and keep things under control.
"It's nowhere compared to the Giants," Manfredi said, referring to the violence and vandalism that broke out after the San Francisco Giants' won the World Series against the Detroit Tigers in October 2012.
Elsewhere in the city, in neighborhoods such as the Haight Ashbury, fans reported a somber mood but no violence.
Mayor Ed Lee congratulated the 49ers for their "spectacular performance" this evening.
"The entire team demonstrated what you can accomplish with enough perseverance and teamwork," Lee said in a statement.
"The journey of the 49ers in their 'Quest for Six' reinvigorated San Francisco Bay Area football fans in a way unseen for nearly two decades," Lee added.
san francisco 49ers, super bowl, jim harbaugh, colin kaepernick, north beach, mission district, nfl
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California 49 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- Two lanes of WB I-80 in SF blocked due to accident
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos