South Bay News
Coast Guard says missing boat report may be hoax
MONTEREY, Calif. (KGO) -- The Coast Guard has called off the search for a boat that reportedly sank far off the Central California coast with two adults and two children on board and now says the family's distress calls could have been a hoax.
The search had expanded beyond the immediate area off the Central Coast near Monterey -- all the way to Hawaii and the Pacific Northwest. The Coast Guard has had no sign of the boat or the people who were on it.
"After two days of active searching and covering over 20,000 miles, roughly the size of West Virginia, the sector commander has made the determination to suspend active searching on this case," said Search & Rescue Coordinator Cmdr. Don Montoro.
They tried one more time this morning; a C130 carrying a search crew took off from Sacramento just before 7 a.m.. It joined a cutter that spent the night out on the water looking for the missing family of four. There has been no sign of the boat or the people since Sunday afternoon. The only evidence officials have to go on is two radio calls.
"Coast Guard, Coast Guard we are abandoning ship. This is the Charm Blow. We are abandoning ship," said one of the distress calls.
The man on the call told the Coast Guard he was onboard with a woman and two children and that the boat was taking on water. But no one has come forward to report anyone missing or identify the family. The Coast Guard has not found any record of a sailboat by that name in their database, or with any marinas or harbors in California. The search and rescue coordinator responded to questions over whether this call was a fake one.
"We are not investigating it directly as a hoax, but I will say that we are pursuing every avenue and that certainly is a possibility," said Montoro.
The case has similarities to two hoaxes last year in Texas and New Jersey. In both of those cases authorities got a radio call of distress, which turned out to be fake calls.
The Coast Guard commander said they will continue to treat this call as a legitimate one, unless proven otherwise.
"From our perspective, it really doesn't matter whether it's a hoax or an actual search. We approach every search as if it is our own children," said Montoro.
The Coast Guard has spent hundreds of thousands on the case. They will continue to investigate the case and follow up on any leads.
boats, search and rescue, coast guard, santa cruz, monterey, monterey bay, monterey county, children, south bay news, amy hollyfield
- Firefighters control 4-alarm fire in Concord 54 min ago
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Protest gets heated for Santa Rosa teen shot
- Only On 7: SF kids describe obstacles in Tenderloin
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Memorial to take place in SF to honor Mandela 41 min ago
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Richmond police searching for young runaway sisters
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Husband's tutu project gets T-Mobile's support
- Winter Spare the Air called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Oakland fire; Asiana crash hearing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos