Guerrero talks to ABC7 about Mayweather fight
GILROY, Calif. (KGO) -- Gilroy native Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero has had Floyd Mayweather Jr. on his radar for a couple of years. Now, he is on Mayweather's radar. Guerrero will get a shot at the biggest name in boxing May 4th in Las Vegas for the WBC welterweight title. I talked with Guerrero about the most lucrative fight of his career.
He calls himself "The Ghost" because you can't hit what you can't see. Guerrero has seen a lot in his 33 fights. He has six title belts in four divisions and now he finally gets that seven-figure payday against Mayweather who wanted nothing to do with Robert.
"Yeah, I was calling him out, but he came back with, 'I don't know who he is,'" said Guerrero.
He will soon. Mayweather hasn't fought in a year and this could work to Guerrero's advantage.
"There's going to be some ring rust there, but the one thing about Floyd Mayweather is he's a master mind in the ring. He's very sharp, very smart in there and he fights with a lot of intelligence. So that's why he dominates everybody," said Guerrero.
His 43-0 record with 26 knockouts will attest to that. A lot of boxers want no part of Mayweather.
Shumann: "What is it about you that wants to take on this challenge?"
Guerrero: "I'm a Bay Area guy, man. We want to be the best. I want to be there in his shoes, I want to be the top guy and not just be one of the best, but you want to leave that legacy in boxing."
Guerrero's appreciation of this fight goes beyond the ring. In 2010 he gave up his title and took a year off to care for his wife Casey who was battling leukemia. She found a donor in Germany for a bone marrow transplant through bethematch.org. Robert is dedicating this fight to knocking out blood cancer.
"You can be the match, all it takes is a quick swab, get on that registry, and you can save some body's life. It saved my wife's life and I'm very grateful to it," said Guerrero.
Guerrero's also fighting for his friends and family including his mom, Marcy, and dad, Ruben, who's his trainer.
Shumann: "Give me a prediction to the fight."
Guerrero: "All you're going to be hearing is 'The new pound-for-pound king of boxing, Robert The Ghost Guerrero.'"
las vegas, gilroy, sports, mike shumann
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro 49 min ago
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- What's next for Candlestick Point? 7 min ago
- Kitten stolen from San Francisco shelter
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to 46 min ago
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos