Coast Guard rescues 4 people along San Mateo coast
SAN MATEO COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- Fierce winds put a windsurfer and some boaters in serious trouble. The rescues happened off Coyote Point in San Mateo County.
Around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday some friends got worried about an overdue windsurfer who didn't come back to Coyote Point Marina so they called the U.S. Coast Guard and that's when two simultaneous rescues got underway.
The wind and waves were tough to navigate. The San Mateo Fire Department and a South San Francisco fireboat joined in the search along with a Coast Guard helicopter.
They couldn't find the windsurfer. That's when they spotted a 13-foot boat rocking in the middle of the bay with three kite surfers on board who were monitoring a race. Their engine had died.
"The wind picked up it got pretty rough and we tried to get to the race, tried to get back, and then our motor broke down. We tried to row, but it was too tough out there," said Tocco Mayer-Rothbarth, a rescued kite surfer.
As they were towed back into shore, the Coast Guard finally spotted the windsurfer waving his arms in the choppy water.
He was taken to a waiting ambulance to be treated for what appeared to be a dislocated shoulder. So four people were rescued from the very wind they went out on the bay to enjoy.
san mateo county, rescue, coast guard, wind, san francisco bay, peninsula news
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits 17 min ago
- Crews call for reinforcements to find missing family
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting 16 min ago
- Obama, in speech, to focus on income disparities
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Sketch released of suspect in violent robberies
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- 7OYS helps woman get refund after misleading ad
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: Murder trial; Bank robbery arrest
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to...
16 min ago