East Bay News
Suspect in April murder in Hayward arrested
HAYWARD, Calif. -- Police arrested a suspect in a recent Hayward murder in the parking lot of a San Leandro Walmart store early Saturday morning, a police lieutenant said.
Michael Soutar, 26, was being sought in connection with the fatal shooting of Ezekiel Taylor on April 20.
Taylor, also 26, was shot shortly before 10 p.m. that day in the driveway of a home on Franklin Avenue between Culp Avenue and Harder Road, police said.
He died the next morning at Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley.
Two days after the shooting, police announced that they had obtained a warrant for Soutar's arrest, but he remained at large until this morning.
Hayward police Lt. Eric Krimm said investigators had been conducting surveillance on Soutar and took him into custody at about 12:15 a.m. today in the parking lot of the Walmart at Hesperian and Lewelling boulevards.
"We were lucky enough to catch him," Krimm said.
Soutar had a handgun in his possession, but he was arrested without incident, Krimm said.
When police announced in April that they were looking for Soutar, they described him as 5 feet 9 inches tall and 175 pounds, with long brown hair and brown eyes. They said he has tattoos of the word "East" on his right wrist and "Bay" on his left wrist.
Krimm said Soutar is also wanted by the Alameda County sheriff's office for a recent shooting in that agency's jurisdiction.
hayward, san leandro, alameda county, walmart, shooting, guns, violence, crime, murder, east bay news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33 42 min ago
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101 23 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M 39 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law 27 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster...
42 min ago