San Francisco News
On-duty San Francisco firefighter arrested for DUI after crash
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- An on-duty San Francisco firefighter was arrested this weekend after the fire truck he was driving collided with a motorcycle. Police say that firefighter was drunk and then left the scene.
Michael Quinn is a 23-year veteran with the San Francisco Fire Department. His friends say he's never been in trouble before. In fact, he's a decorated firefighter. But on Saturday, his life took a turn.
In June of 2002, a fast-moving fire raced through the Baldwin Hotel in downtown San Francisco.
Veteran firefighter Quinn was one of the firefighters who received a Meritorious Service Award for rescuing 20 people.
Four years later, he won another award for rescuing a construction worker trapped in a building collapse.
Late Saturday night, with its siren and lights on, the fire truck he was driving responded to a call of smoke in a building south of Market, near 5th and Howard streets.
As he turned the truck, police say it hit a motorcycle. The rider was taken to San Francisco General Hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries.
Police say Quinn suddenly left the scene of the accident and disappeared for several hours before returning.
Fire investigators gave him a breathalyzer test, which showed an alcohol reading of .16, which is twice the legal limit. He was subsequently arrested.
Last month, the 43-year-old firefighter survived a 500-foot fall when his hang glider plunged into the waters near Fort Funston.
Police booked him for a DUI and leaving the scene of an accident.
A police source tells us that Quinn was "uncooperative" when they asked him to take their breathalyzer test. We're told he subsequently took a "blood" test.
And police are waiting for those results before submitting the case to the district attorney, possibly Tuesday.
Those who know Quinn say he's had a difficult year. A firefighter who knows him told ABC7 News that Quinn's mother and sister died within months of each other due to illnesses. And now, this.
sffd, soma, crash, driving, fire, DUI, alcohol, san francisco news, vic lee
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker 16 min ago
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries 19 min ago
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 5 min ago
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed