San Francisco News
Reward increased for info about poisoned meatballs left in SF
SAN FRANCISCO -- A reward for information about suspects who left out hundreds of poisoned meatballs throughout San Francisco, leading to one dog's death last week, has risen to $5,000, a spokeswoman for the Animal Legal Defense Fund said.
The animal defense organization is teaming with VegNews Magazine and Yelp CEO Jeremy Stoppelman to offer the reward for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of perpetrators in the crime.
"The citizens of San Francisco are up in arms over this sadistic crime," Animal Legal Defense Fund Executive Director Stephen Wells said in a statement.
He said the group is hopeful that the increased reward money might prompt someone to come forward with information.
Police discovered the tainted meatballs in San Francisco's Diamond Heights and Twin Peaks neighborhoods earlier this month.
Police said the meatballs contained strychnine and believe they were left out in a malicious plan to kill dogs.
Oskar, a dachshund who ate one of the poisoned meatballs, died earlier this month, according to San Francisco Animal Care and Control spokeswoman Deb Campbell.
Anyone with information about the identity of the person or people responsible for distributing the meatballs is asked to call police or the Animal Legal Defense Fund at (707) 795-2533, ext. 1010.
diamond heights, cole valley, haight ashbury, animal, animals in peril, food, crime, san francisco news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap 2 min ago
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Owens' Olympic gold medal sells for record $1.4M
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour ring record
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos