San Francisco News
Target hopes to hire 450 workers for new SF store
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Target is hiring and the retailer is looking to hire more than 400 new employees for the store it's opening in San Francisco. The new City Target will be in the 2600 block of Geary near Masonic and that's also where for the next two days, Target hopes to interview and hire 450 employees.
Three-hundred applicants packed interview rooms there Thursday afternoon. Retired inventor Arnie Lazarus was there being questioned by a woman his granddaughter's age. "I'm doing this for& to reinvent myself," he told ABC7 News.
The company told him they were only looking for part-time workers. That fits his schedule. And, he's getting social security so the near minimum wage offer was not that bad.
Target says it's hiring all ages over 16 and experience is retail is not a must. "What we do look for is just individuals who have a can-do attitude," human resources manager Kasi Hohbach said.
Hohnach said Target doesn't publicly discuss wages or benefits, but they are hiring for a number of positions. "So, anywhere from cashiers to our sales force, to logistics to our hourly management positions," she said.
Target expects 3,000 people will apply for the 450 openings. The store will be a City Target like the one south of Market. It is smaller, has a pharmacy and groceries, but is not as big as a regular Target store.
Applicant Ronnae Colemon said she likes the idea of working for a company with a proven track record. "It means there will be a lot of business. It'll be up and running for a long time, so I know that my job will be& I'll be here for a while," she said.
And in this economy, job security, even in a part time job, is enough to draw a crowd.
The store is due to open in October. Applications are being accepted until 5 p.m. Thursday, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday.
target, jobs, unemployment, san francisco news, mark matthews
- Sheriff: Suspect in Colorado school shooting dead 3 min ago
- Man survives fiery explosion at Hayward home
- EMT killed in fiery crash on I-580 remembered
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Photos: Colorado high school shooting 13 min ago
- Icy roads creating dangerous driving conditions 53 min ago
- Vigils to mark first anniversary of Newtown shooting
- Knife-wielding man arrested for grocery store robbery 18 min ago
- String of water mains break overnight in Millbrae
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Saturday 23 min ago
- roundup: SF stabbing; Water main breaks 43 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Icy roads creating dangerous driving...
53 min ago