Oakland, investors look to build Coliseum City, keep sports teams
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Big money is behind an ambitious new plan to redevelop the area around the Oakland Coliseum, a development known as Coliseum City.
The area would be transformed into a new sports and entertainment district with the goal of keeping the Oakland A's, Raiders and Golden State Warriors in Oakland.
At City Hall a rally was held to honor the 2013 AL West champion Oakland Athletics as they chase their fifth World Championship in this year's Major League Baseball playoffs.
Mayor Jean Quan and some A's legends were on hand to fire up the crowd in advance of the ALDS that begins Friday at 6:37 p.m. vs. the Detroit Tigers in Oakland.
There was extra excitement in the crowd after Quan revealed the city attracted deep-pocketed investors from Dubai who were interested in pursuing the Coliseum City project. The sports center would be located on the shoreline across from the existing facility.
"So we're very excited. This is exactly the kind of investor that we wanted. And we're right on target to taking this to council for their approval," said Quan.
The city is hoping these new developments could entice the A's current ownership from wanting to leave the city.
oakland athletics, oakland, oakland coliseum, jean quan, MLB, mlb, alan wang
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake 15 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse 38 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco 40 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks 52 min ago
- One dead after house fire in Oakland
- California criminal behind 3-strikes law arrested 31 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security 20 min ago
- Police arrest man, 3 teens for attempted home burglary 3 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos