Oakland, investors look to build Coliseum City, keep sports teams
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Big money is behind an ambitious new plan to redevelop the area around the Oakland Coliseum, a development known as Coliseum City.
The area would be transformed into a new sports and entertainment district with the goal of keeping the Oakland A's, Raiders and Golden State Warriors in Oakland.
At City Hall a rally was held to honor the 2013 AL West champion Oakland Athletics as they chase their fifth World Championship in this year's Major League Baseball playoffs.
Mayor Jean Quan and some A's legends were on hand to fire up the crowd in advance of the ALDS that begins Friday at 6:37 p.m. vs. the Detroit Tigers in Oakland.
There was extra excitement in the crowd after Quan revealed the city attracted deep-pocketed investors from Dubai who were interested in pursuing the Coliseum City project. The sports center would be located on the shoreline across from the existing facility.
"So we're very excited. This is exactly the kind of investor that we wanted. And we're right on target to taking this to council for their approval," said Quan.
The city is hoping these new developments could entice the A's current ownership from wanting to leave the city.
oakland athletics, oakland, oakland coliseum, jean quan, MLB, mlb, alan wang
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 31 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland 46 min ago
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game 33 min ago
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified 42 min ago
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Amazon launches grocery service for Prime members 14 min ago
- Actor dressed as homeless man fools New Yorkers 48 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued 53 min ago