San Francisco News
Ai Weiwei planning art exhibition on Alcatraz
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A celebrated Chinese artist and political dissident is planning a major art exhibition on Alcatraz.
Ai Wewei is currently working with the National Park Service and other local agencies to get approval for the project. If it's approved, the show could open sometime in Fall 2014.
So far, there's very little information about what exactly the artist is planning to show at the former prison.
The artist himself was jailed by Chinese authorities in 2011. He's made several art pieces about his time in prison.
art, alcatraz, san francisco news
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest 5 min ago
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 47 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law
- Brentwood police investigate armed robbery spree
- California regulators propose coyote-killing ban
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday