North Bay News
Graton Casino opening could snarl traffic on Highway 101
ROHNERT PARK, Calif. -- The opening of a new tribal casino in Rohnert Park on Tuesday could snarl traffic in Sonoma County this week, especially on U.S. Highway 101, police have warned.
The Graton Resort and Casino, located off of Golf course West outside Rohnert Park, will be completely open by Tuesday morning, and drivers should expect some increasing traffic as early as Monday, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Petaluma police are warning drivers to allow extra time for traffic.
Both police and the CHP plan to monitor and work to mitigate any traffic issues in the area.
The $820 million casino includes 3,000 slot and video poker machines, 144 gaming tables and an 18-table non-smoking poker room, as well as high-limit slot machines and high-stakes private table game areas.
It also includes a food court, four full-service restaurant, and an events center with seating for 750 seated guests.
There are 5,700 parking spaces outdoors or in a 5-level parking garage.
The casino has been opposed at public hearings and in court since it was first planned 10 years ago for the Sears Point area of southern Sonoma County, then after strong opposition from environmentalists, at the Rohnert Park site.
rohnert park, sonoma county, traffic, highway 101, driving, CHP, jobs, north bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests 36 min ago
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives 36 min ago
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- City College San Francisco protests lead to...
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos