East Bay News
Candlelight vigil held for Fremont Kennedy High coach
FREMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- Tuesday evening there was a candlelight vigil held in Fremont to honor a beloved high school coach and mentor who died while trying to help others. A shrine was set up on the front lawn of the school.
John Webb, 76, spent the last 25 years coaching football and serving as athletic director at John F. Kennedy High. He was hit and killed by a car early Saturday morning.
"One of the most unselfish people I've ever met. He always put everyone else before himself. Even when we tried to do something nice for him or whatever, he would take offense to it saying, 'Ah, what are you doing? I don't need this,'" said football coach David Damewood.
The Highway Patrol said Webb was a passenger in one of the cars involved in a car crash. He got out and was trying to direct drivers around an accident along Interstate 680 in Fremont and that is when he was struck by an oncoming car.
Webb had been the athletic director, co-head football coach, taught math, English, woodshop, and took over the Chinese Club when no one else was available. He was known as an institution at the school.
Webb's colleagues told ABC7 News there would be a formal memorial planned at some point. He has four adult children who have flown into the Bay Area from various parts of the nation to help plan the private family service.
crash, fremont, I-680, east bay news
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos