US News and World Report's 'Best Diets of 2014'
It's the most popular time of year to start a new diet, but which one will work best for you? U.S. News and World Report is breaking down what they call the best diets of 2014.
"We have everything from the best diets overall, to the best weight loss diets, to the best diets for heart health and diabetes," explained U.S. News Health and Wellness Senior Editor Angela Haupt.
Topping the list of best plant-based diets is the Mediterranean diet which focuses on lots of fruits, veggies, and fish. And best of all, you can enjoy that glass of wine.
"You're going to have to be a lot more self-conscious about how many calories are you consuming, what are your portions. They don't measure it out for you," says Jam Murphy with Body by JAM.
Ranking "Best Diet for Weight Loss" is the ever-popular Weight Watchers which uses the points system and doesn't restrict any food groups. "Weight Watchers works like budgeting your money, so they're also going to base the points off of things that make you fuller longer," Murphy said.
Topping the list for the fourth year in a row as the best overall diet is the DASH Diet which includes portion control and balancing proteins and carbs.
"It's realistic, and what the creator of this diet did was provide lots and lots of options," Murphy said.
Murphy say an important thing to keep in mind if you find yourself hitting a bump in your resolution road is to "stay motivated and stay motivated about being educated."
food, diets, new year's eve, holiday, weight loss, health
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van 56 min ago
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos