North Bay News
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom welcomes baby dolphin
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- A new calf is making waves at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo, not only for being the first female dolphin born there in eight years, but also for the unique way her mother communicated with her long before the baby was born.
There's bonding time at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, where 9-year-old bottlenose dolphin Bella is getting to know her first born, Mirabella, now just 8 days old.
"We are so, so excited. This is absolutely perfect. We have a bonded Mom and baby. Bella's a first-time Mom and she's taken up motherhood perfectly," said Holley Muraco, a reproductive physiologist.
Mirabella is the first female born at Discovery Kingdom in eight years. On Jan. 9 she weighed in at 25 pounds.
When Bella was pregnant, she gained the attention of researchers because of the whistling sounds she made, apparently directed at her unborn fetus.
"Bella would come into a pool, sort of separate herself from the other dolphins and quietly float and make what's known as a signature whistle or the baby whistle," said Muraco.
"What we found out was it is almost as if Bella were imprinting with her baby, prior to the birth," said Muraco.
As it is now, Mirabella and her Mom are having some quiet time, getting to know each other, but all under the watchful eye of a marine mammal trainer. The trainer notes each time Bella nurses her baby to make sure Mirabella is getting enough nourishment. The pair will be allowed their privacy for a little while longer.
"Guests can start seeing Bella and her calf Mirabella starting Jan. 25 and 26," said Nancy Chan from Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.
Mirabella is third generation at Discovery Kingdom. Her grandmother is 34-year-old Chelsea.
vallejo, animal, six flags, north bay news, laura anthony
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 25 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer 10 min ago
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation 9 min ago
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief 16 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash
- Investigators to speak with shot San...
10 min ago