East Bay News
Oakland's First Friday event cancelled due to rain
OAKLAND, Calif. -- For the first time in its two-year history, a First Friday event in downtown Oakland is being canceled because of rain, organizers said Thursday.
The street party, which takes place on Telegraph Avenue from West Grand Avenue to 27th Street, draws thousands of people to Oakland's Uptown district on the first Friday of every month. It is an offshoot of Art Murmur, a gallery walk that occurs earlier on the same night.
Although the street party won't be held this Friday, organizers said there will still be plenty of indoor activities such as the Art Murmur walk, and people can still visit the 25th Street Collective, a warehouse for slow food and slow fashion artisans. Bars, restaurants and music venues in the area will remain open.
Festival coordinator Sarah Kidder said that until now, First Fridays has been blessed with good weather, although an unexpected rainstorm limited attendance at the event in December.
"We've been fortunate until now and we're thrilled that there's rain because of the drought," Kidder said.
She said it would be unsafe to hold the event this Friday because most musicians, street vendors and artists who have outdoor booths don't have tents.
"People and art would get wet, and there might be electrocution issues," Kidder said.
She said First Fridays will return on March 7, as long as there isn't more rain then.
oakland, art, music, food, rain, east bay news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos