Candidates taking political ads to new lows
SACRAMENTO, CA -- The midterm elections are a week from Tuesday and it's crunch time for the campaigns.
A new poll shows that in one month, Jerry Brown's lead has doubled over Meg Whitman in the race for governor.
The LA Times-USC poll found that Whitman lost ground with women, Latinos and non-partisan voters in the wake of the illegal immigrant housekeeper scandal. The same poll found Senator Barbara Boxer maintained her 8-point margin over Carly Fiorina.
There are vastly different views as to exactly which direction to take the country in and thus, the battles during this election season are fierce. Actually, "fierce" doesn't quite describe the mood.
This is being called the nastiest election cycle ever. While negative ads are nothing new, that's pretty much all that candidates of both parties are airing across the country and it's a no holds barred fight.
Candidates are slamming everything from the religion of their opponents to their personal lives. They're so bad that they're hilarious. My personal favorite comes courtesy of a race in Winnepeg and charges a candidate with "kicking in the face of children."
The argument here is that these ads work and if there was no demand for them, there'd be no supply.
Join the discussion!
Tell us what you think about this topic by posting your comments on:
elections, question of the day, the lead, television, 7live
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District 49 min ago
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports 22 min ago
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens 22 min ago
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 21 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at... 29 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
49 min ago
- Should you be concerned about living on the...
38 min ago
- 'Science cheerleaders' send experiment into...
43 min ago