Land of un-civil discourse, home of dissent?
KENTUCKY -- On Monday, 7Live talked about how nasty the current election cycle has become between those running for office. Unfortunately, the nastiness goes beyond just the candidates.
Lauren Valle, volunteer from the liberal activist group MoveOn.org, was attempting to get near Kentucky GOP Senate candidate Rand Paul with a sign critical of his candidacy as he entered a Senatorial debate Monday night.
"These supporters were not very, uh, very nice to me and my message, which is the same as everyone else, just wanted to get out here with a sign, but I got my head stepped on," Valle said.
She ended up being taken to a hospital where she was diagnosed with a mild concussion and then released.
The volunteer with Paul's campaign, Tim Profitt, has been ordered to court where a judge will decide if he should face criminal charges. The Paul campaign has dropped him as a campaign coordinator and banned him from future events.
This incident is disturbing because there seems to be a trend in America today that we can't have civil discourse with those with whom we disagree.
Also on Monday, the Rhode Island Democratic gubernatorial candidate said on three separate media occasions that President Obama can "shove it" because the president didn't endorse him.
And, we also had Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar walk off of The View during an interview with conservative commentator Bill O'Reilly after O'Reilly said that "Muslims killed us on 9/11."
Barbara Walters responded saying, "You have just seen what should not have happened. I love my colleagues, but it should not have happened."
I think she has a point. Have we come to a place in America where those who disagree with us are not worthy of our respect, where "they" are the enemy, where we can't listen to a dissenting view, where you can't learn from people who think like you?
Join the discussion!
Tell us what you think about this topic by posting your comments on:
the lead, question of the day, elections, celebrities, 7live
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support 7 min ago
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed 26 min ago
- Another mistake found in BART union contract 29 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water 47 min ago
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test 23 min ago
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban 26 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
52 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos