East Bay News
Illegal fireworks tradition continues in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Some of the illegal pyrotechnic shows in Oakland were incredible. The street side fireworks shows may be illegal, but it didn't stop dozens of displays from going up across the city.
Arguably on the Fourth of July Oakland has the most spectacular illegal fireworks display in the Bay Area. Across the city, SKY7HD caught a flurry of commercial grade fireworks launched out of mortars, accompanied by the illegal explosion of M-80s, cherry bombs, and Texas-sized bottle rockets going into the sky.
The big concern of the night was fire in the densely populated area, but Oakland Fire took two of its crucial engine companies out of service as part of a cost-saving measure. Station 3 and 23 do not have trucks the carry water. Their backup crews can bring a truck that carries water.
In addition to the illegal fireworks, there are a lot of people who shoot guns into the air. Oakland police have a system called "Shot Spotter" that can detect the difference between fireworks and gunshots.
As of 11 p.m. there were no nighttime fireworks related fires to report.
oakland, fireworks, 4th of july, east bay news, alan wang
- Victim of 2009 Richmond gang rape takes stand
- Muni driver honored for actions after shooting
- City says 'parklet' in Haight-Ashbury must go
- Man arrested after fatal crash in San Jose
- 2 wildfires burning in Central Sierra foothills
- Charges filed against man in naked BART attack
- Caltrain reopens after police talk man off ledge
- Bicyclist struck, killed by hit-and-run driver
- Patient attacks nurse at Napa State Hospital
- SF taxi driver chokes, robs passenger over tip
- Flooding renews call for new Oakland A's stadium
- abcnews: Putin accused of stealing Super Bowl ring
- roundup: Burglaries in Livermore; Cabbie robs fare
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Oakland kicks off summer food program for...
20 min ago