East Bay News
Traveler found with bomb materials at Oakland Airport
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Some alert TSA officers at Oakland International Airport have arrested a man they suspected was a possible terrorist.
49-year-old Geoffrey McGann was carrying what they believed are components that could be used to make a bomb.
It was just about 8 p.m. on Thursday when McGann was going through the checkpoint at Southwest Airlines. He was headed back to his home in Rancho Palos Verdes.
McGann reportedly took off his watch and put it in the bin along with his carry on. Investigators say he covered it with his coat. An alert TSA officer didn't like what he saw.
"The watch had on it a toggle switch, a series of fuses, a series of wires protruding from it, a circuit board," Alameda County Sheriff's Sgt. JD Nelson said. Even though the TSA found no explosives, Nelson says the bomb squad determined that McGann had all the ingredients to make a timing device for a bomb.
Additionally, Nelson says there were other strange things about McGann; his boots were two sizes too big and they were stuffed with layers of insoles, something the shoe bomber Richard Reed did, "They also had what appeared to be a homemade cavity in them," Nelson said.
It's a place where he could have hidden something. Nelson says his attire was also strange, "He was wearing a military style shirt which has a built-in tourniquet in the sleeves." Soldiers learn how to tighten the tourniquet to stop bleeding if they receive an arm injury.
Nelson says it was the totality of everything they found that made them suspicious, and that led to his arrest.
Passengers we spoke with on this day, one of the busiest travel times of the year, applauded the TSA, "
"You never know who's going to try to pull whatever off and it's good we have these measures in place if they do catch them," passenger Debbie Johnson said.
Chicago resident Glaydis Rice added that she's always vigilant anyway when she travels, "You see something and don't report it, that makes them just as guilty as the person doing it."
The burning question -- what was McGann up to? Nelson gave one possible answer, "That's always a concern, is that somebody's making a dry run, exactly."
McGann told investigators he is an artist and what he was carrying was artwork. ABC7 News did find a website for a Geoffrey McGann. If it is the same person, he is indeed an artist and a photographer.
He's being held at Santa Rita Jail, charged with possession of materials to make a destructive device
oakland, airport security, crime, TSA, FBI, east bay news, vic lee
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash 26 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions 48 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday 15 min ago
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
17 min ago
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART,...
48 min ago