California Ranks Second In Mortgage Fraud
May 16 - KGO (KGO) -- There's an update to a 7 On Your Side investigation into mortgage fraud.
An index released today by the Mortgage Asset Research Institute now ranks California second in the nation for mortgage fraud -- second only to Florida.
Suspected cases of mortgage fraud increased 214 percent in California from the first quarter of 2005 to 2006. The institute suspects the increase is due to the declining real estate market.
Last year, California ranked eighth on the Mortgage Fraud Index.
2007 Case Report on Mortgage Fraud http://www.mari-inc.com/pdfs/mba/MBA9thCaseRpt.pdf
Previous 7 On Your Side story on mortgage fraud: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=7on_your_side&id=5304414
To learn more about foreclosures, please visit:
- Man escapes early morning house fire in Pinole 29 min ago
- Work to begin to replace bolts on new Bay Bridge 28 min ago
- SamTrans bus hits low hanging wire in San Mateo 39 min ago
- San Jose firefighters control 1-alarm house fire
- 'Attractive & Fat' campaign slams Abercrombie & Fitch
- Results of Consumer Reports test of sunscreens
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Missing pony; High-speed rail 44 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos