More Families Claim 'Bumbo' Seat Safety Concerns
Sep. 20, 2007 (KGO) (KGO) -- Shortly after our 7 On Your Side investigation aired, more families are coming forward with scary stories about a very popular infant seat.
We've heard from families who are concerned after hearing about safety problems with this seat.We told you that the federal government had three reports of accidents involving the Bumbo baby seat. Now, the count has more than doubled. Parents from here in the Bay Area, and across the nation, contacted us to say their children had horrific accidents when using the chair. Amber Black of Discovery Bay was a big fan of the Bumbo baby seat. "I absolutely loved it. It just kind of helped her sit and kinda watch and observe and she was happy because she was included," said Black. She had a horrifying experience when she put her seven month old daughter, Brooklyn, in the Bumbo, up on a counter in the kitchen. "[She] had one leg come out and she completely tumbled onto the floor below. So I mean, I watched the whole thing and gasped," said Black. The baby hit the floor head first. "She was going in and out of consciousness. All of a sudden, her eyes were going down and then coming back up and then she was doing this again, and we just completely freaked and called 911," said Black. But later Brooklyn recovered. The doctor said it was not an uncommon accident. "He just said 'you dodged a bullet. Consider yourselves lucky. Throw away the chair," said Black. Black told us about her experience after she saw our report about this new baby chair, the Bumbo Baby Sitter. It's made in South Africa and is now all the rage here in the U.S. A 7 On Your Side investigation found some serious concerns about the safety of this chair. We told you how little Dylan Lamm in Santa Rosa nearly died when he fell out of the Bumbo seat from a table top. A baby in Kansas took a similar fall. Now our investigation has uncovered three additional reports of Bumbo accidents, doubling the count. Parents said they thought it was safe to use the Bumbo up high because of instructions that say it's safe on any level surface and perfect for eye level feeding. The Bumbo website pictures showed Bumbos used on tables and chairs. The Bumbo company points to a warning label that says "never use on a raised surface.'' A Bumbo company statement said "the chair is safe as long as there is suitable supervision. The company has received reports of babies getting out of the seat&but no reports of the seat tipping on a flat surface. The warning label clearly states the chair should not be used on a raised surface&The claim that Bumbo is safe on any level surface refers to the ground level." The Consumer Product Safety Commission just opened an investigation into the Bumbo baby seat, but has not issued any warnings or a recall. We'll continue to stay on top of this and we want to hear from more of you who have experiences with the Bumbo seat.
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore
- 10-year-old girl to become Wonder Girl in Vallejo
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming electronics
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Journals show students' despair, hope
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos