7 On Your Side
Phone donations may be slow on delivering
If you have been texting dollars to Haiti for earthquake relief, you are helping, but maybe not yet.
The donations you make by texting on your cell phone have raised about $30 million so far and it seems like a quick way to give, but charities say "not really."
Phone companies usually wait until you pay your bill before they send off the donation and that can take up to three months.
The fastest way to help is with an online donation through the charity's website. Do make sure you are on a legitimate website however.
haiti, cell phone, 7 on your side
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters 59 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos